Welcome to Biggs GUARANTEED Damp Proofing, Basement Tanking, Condensation Solutions & Structural Waterproofing Services covering Kent, Essex, London & Surrey
Call us Today for Highly Skilled Guaranteed Damp Proofing, Tanking & Waterproofing Services
We supply guaranteed tanking and damp proofing services throughout Kent, London, Essex & Surrey.
Please call to arrange a free site survey and free no obligation quote from local experienced BIGGS DAMP & TIMBER SERVICES:
- Basement Waterproofing & Tanking to new and existing basements by using a “cavity drain membrane system” or “Cementitious coatings”.
- Rising Damp / Damp Proofing
- Condensation Solutions in any part of the cycle. Ventilation – Black Mould – Damp – Pooling Water
- Concrete & Structural Repairs including wall ties and fixings, masonry / render repairs, steel reinforced bars, concrete stitching and more.
- Structural Waterproofing, External Coating & Waterproof Membranes.
Rising Damp / Damp Proofing
Rising damp is the common term given to the slow upward movement of water in lower walls. Damp travels through walls because of capillary action and is something that has been widely observed for over 200 years. It is thought that the Romans and ancient Greeks also understood the issue of rising damp.
Rising damp occurs when ground water travels through porous building materials such as brick, sandstone, or mortar.
If you notice a ‘tide mark’ on lower walls of your building, it could be rising damp but there are other issues it could be.
Rising damp is often misdiagnosed which is why you need Biggs Pest, Damp & Timber for positive identification followed by a free quotation and advice for dealing with the problem.
How structural waterproofing happens
It may not be the most glamourous side of construction or extending a property but, it is vital. There are different methods of structural waterproofing or tanking as it is sometimes known.
The right solution for your project depend on what is needed;
- External tanking is where ground water pressure forces the waterproof skin against the structure, thereby sealing it.
- Internal tanking or tank lining holds water behind a structure, such as in planters or roof gardens.
- Vertical tanking is applied to a retaining wall to make it waterproof.
- Horizontal tanking is when the membrane is applied and buried beneath a protective layer, such as in a flat roofing system.
All tanking or structural waterproofing measures must meet a high standard before they can be ‘signed off’ as part of building control and regulations.
Although waterproofing measures are essential, it is also important that the project is viewed in its entirety – for example, any seals need to be well-bonded, consideration needs to be given to what could damage the lining or waterproof skin and so on.
And that is why calling the experienced team at Biggs Pest, Damp & Timber is the right phone call to make. We have the correct and affordable structural waterproofing measure for your project anywhere in Kent, Essex, London & Surrey.